Earlier this month, the Connecticut State Police released the names of two people killed while operating their motorcycles when an SUV crossed the center line and struck the motorcyclists head on.
What may be considered a minor or moderate collision in a car can have deadly results when the accident involves a motorcycle, given a motorcycle's difference in size and weight from a car. Motorcyclists are 26 times more likely to die in a traffic accident than an occupant of a car.
Data compiled by the Connecticut Department of Transportation reveals that there are more than 11,000 motorcycle accidents and 300 motorcycle fatalities reported each year in the State of Connecticut. Motorcycle accidents often occur due to:
- Drivers of cars failing to account for motorcycles when making traffic movements;
- Congested traffic;
- Distracted driving or driving while drowsy;
- Intoxicated drivers;
- Poor weather conditions;
- Road construction.
Many motorcycle accidents are completely preventable. Both motorcycle and car drivers must be prepared to drive defensively and be aware of their surroundings at all times. Car drivers should remember to "look twice and save a life" before making traffic movements. Motorcycle riders can reduce their risk of being involved in a collision by following these tips:
- Constantly scan your environment so you can react to situations quickly.
- Never get between a vehicle and an off-ramp, as drivers may try to get off thie highway at the last minute.
- Minimize reach time by keeping your finger on the brake lever and your foot close to the rear brake pedal at all times.
- When traffic slows, stay left or right of the car in front of you, giving you an escape route if needed.
- Be sure to be noticed - wear your bright colors and leave high beam lights on during the day.
Even the most precautious motorcyclist can be involved in an accident. Victims of motorcycle accidents may recover medical care expenses, lost wages, compensation for pain/suffering and more.
If you or a loved one is injured in a motorcycle crash, the Law Offices of Mark E. Salomone & Morelli can help get you the compensation you deserve. Call us today for a free consultation at 1-800-WIN-WIN1 to see how we can help you get back on the road.