24 Hours, 7 Days a Week
18 Locations

How Do I Get My Medical Bills Paid After A Connecticut Car Accident?

Advice From Experienced Attorneys You Can Trust

Medical expenses can add up fast after a car accident in Connecticut. And if you don't take immediate action, you might end up having to pay for some or all of your accident-related medical expenses, even if you didn't cause your crash.

Medical bills associated with auto accidents can easily total tens of thousands of dollars or even more. Depending on the severity of your injuries, you might need emergency surgery and follow-up surgical procedures to address your health issues. You might also need money for:

  • Medications
  • Physical therapy
  • Prosthetic limbs
  • Wheelchairs

Our car accident attorneys at the Law Offices of Mark E. Salomone & Morelli in Connecticut have extensive experience dealing with such complicated cases. We know what evidence to look for and what it takes to win. Simply contact our law firm and schedule your free case evaluation. We have 8 offices located throughout Connecticut.

How The System Works

Connecticut has a fault-based car insurance system. That means the driver who caused your crash (the at-fault driver) is responsible for paying your medical bills. As a result, medical bills associated with your motor vehicle accident are normally paid one of the following ways in Connecticut:

  • Filing a claim with your car insurance company
  • Filing a claim with at-fault driver's insurance company
  • Filing a lawsuit against the at-fault driver

Understanding Your Insurance

Your insurance provider will normally pay up to the amount of your insurance coverage. The minimum amount of insurance drivers must have in Connecticut is $20,000 per person for injuries sustained in an accident, but that doesn't protect you - it protects others injured in an accident you cause.

You can choose to get more than the minimum amount of insurance coverage. In addition to purchasing more than $20,000 for injury coverage, you can purchase Medical Payments Coverage (known as Med Pay). This optional form of insurance will pay your medical expenses up to your Med Pay limit.

If you do not have Med Pay and/or your medical expenses exceed your policy limit, you can file a claim with your health insurance provider. Another option includes filing a lawsuit against the at-fault driver. We can discuss the pros and cons of each option with you in person.

Issues Affecting You

This process might sound simple. But after an accident, getting the money you rightfully deserve for medical expenses can often be very complicated for several reasons, including:

  • At-fault driver uninsured or underinsured
  • At-fault driver fled the scene of hit-and-run car accident
  • At-fault driver denied causing crash
  • At-fault driver's insurance company claimed:
    • You caused the crash
    • You sustained your injury prior to accident
    • You do not have an injury

Below, you will find step-by-step instructions for obtaining compensation for medical expenses for your Connecticut car accident. We also strongly advise you to contact our law firm as soon as possible to discuss the details of your case.

What You Need To Do

In order to improve your ability to be financially compensated for your accident-related medical expenses, take the following steps:

  • Contact the police - Ask the police to investigate your accident. That way, there will be a formal record outlining exactly who caused your crash.
  • Seek medical attention - This is the most important step. Your health matters most. It's critical you receive medical treatment as soon as possible after your accident.
  • Hire a lawyer - The sooner you hire an attorney to represent you after your accident, the more you can focus on your recovery instead of all the red tape.
  • Copy your bills - Make sure you make copies of all medical bills, prescription drugs and any other medical expenses associated with your accident. Start a file and keep track of everything spent on medical expenses, including mileage to and from your appointments. You deserve to be reimbursed for such expenses.
  • Contact your insurance company - Tell them you have been in a car accident caused by another driver. But keep your comments brief.
  • File accident claim - As explained above, you can file a claim with your auto insurance provider or with the at-fault driver's insurance company.
  • Seek follow-up treatment - Make sure you get the treatment you need to fully recover from your accident.
  • Submit medical bills - You might need to personally send your accident-related medical bills to the insurance company. Send the original bill or a copy of the bill. Either way, make sure you personally have a written record of all your medical bills.
  • Negotiate for more - If insurance companies refuse to pay certain medical bills, we can help you negotiate for more money for your accident-related medical expenses.
  • Take legal action - Sometimes, the best way to get the money you deserve for medical expenses is to file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver's insurance company.

Don't feel intimidated by this complicated process. We can be there for you every step of the way, fighting for your best interests.

How We Can Help

Many law firms talk about what they can do for injury victims. We believe actions speak louder than words. As your attorney, we will carefully investigate your accident claim and build the strongest case. That way, you can focus on your recovery instead of worrying about all the red tape often associated with getting your medical bills paid.

We can get straight to work on your case immediately after your accident, even if you're still recovering from your injuries. In fact, the sooner we can start investigating your claim, the better our ability to gather the evidence you need to obtain the benefits you deserve.

Give your case an advantage - The Salomone & Morelli Advantage. Contact our law firm right now and schedule your free case evaluation. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.