Medical Malpractice Attorney Springfield, MA
Representing Springfield, Boston and Worcester-area Victims of Medical Negligence
The medical malpractice attorneys in Springfield, MA at the Law Offices of Mark E. Salomone have experience handling some of the most complex negligence cases involving doctors, nurses, dentists and other professionals who failed in their duty to provide good care according to accepted standards. These types of legal cases require the services of a highly skilled lawyer who has access to top experts and thoroughly understands the law and regulations governing the healthcare industry. Negligence by a doctor, nurse, anesthesiologist or other medical professional in Hampden County or elsewhere in Massachusetts can be devastating. Individuals and families may be entitled to compensation through a medical malpractice lawsuit or wrongful death claim.
If you or a loved one was injured because of a medical provider’s negligence or neglect, contact us immediately. Call at personal injury law firm in Boston at 1-800-WIN-WIN-1 for a free and confidential consultation. We have a proven track record of getting results for clients. Find out how we can help you fight for compensation for your medical malpractice claim.
Do You Have Grounds for a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit in Massachusetts?
When you receive care from a health professional, you expect the provider to be competent and to adhere to the standards of care that all health care professionals are held to. This is true whether you are being treated in Springfield at Baystate Medical Center, Mercy Medical Center or at any of the facilities in Boston. Malpractice arises from a professional’s misconduct or failure to use adequate levels of care, skill or diligence in the performance of their duties, which results in harm to you or your loved one.
The Law Offices of Mark E. Salomone is experienced in fighting for victims of negligence involving the following, among other types of cases:
- Birth injuries: These cases might involve a newborn who has suffered cerebral palsy or other serious conditions due to complications during birth.
- Diagnosing errors: Doctors who fail to diagnose an illness or mistake symptoms of one illness for another put patients at risk of great harm.
- Hospital negligence: In many cases, the hospital must be held accountable for your injury. The hospital may have not properly trained its staff or failed to supervise an employee.
- LASIK: Laser eye surgery leads to complications involving thousands of patients every year. Fight back if your vision was damaged because of negligence.
- Nursing home abuse: Failure to feed or treat sick patients can result in serious health problems or even death in certain extreme cases.
- Surgical mistakes: Surgeons sometimes perform the wrong operation or operate on the wrong body part. Such errors demand strong legal action.
Medical malpractice damages are paid as either compensatory damages or punitive damages.
Compensatory Damages for Medical Malpractice in Massachusetts
Compensatory damages are designed to compensate, or to make the person as “whole” again as possible.
Generally, these damages can be broken up into two sub-categories, actual damages and general damages. Actual damages reimburse you for your financial losses. Actual damages typically include:
- Medical and hospitalization bills incurred to treat your injuries
- Wages lost due to work missed while you recuperate
- Costs of household or nursing help during recovery, including costs of wheelchair or crutches required
General damages include the things that can’t be precisely documented in dollars spent, including:
- Pain and suffering endured due to injuries and any subsequent mental anguish
- Value of medical expenses you are likely to incur in the future
- Value of wages you are likely to lose in the future
- Loss of consortium (benefits of a relationship)
- Loss of normal life
- Anguish / Emotional Trauma
Damages are also available to those who prove that they were not provided with proper informed consent before the medical procedure took place.
Punitive Damages Punish the Defendant
In medical malpractice cases, punitive damages are not based on your actual injuries. Instead, they are a way to punish the negligent health care provider for intentional or grossly careless conduct. It is fairly uncommon to see punitive damages in a medical malpractice case. However, it is not unprecedented.
Contact a Medical Malpractice Lawyer in Massachusetts Today
Need help with a medical negligence claim? Call 1-800-WIN-WIN-1 today to find out how the Law Offices of Mark E. Salomone can help. We serve clients in Boston, Worcester, Springfield, and communities throughout Massachusetts. An experienced medical malpractice attorney can protect your rights.
When you contact our firm, your consultation is free. You also don’t have to worry about any upfront costs, because you don’t pay us unless you win.