The Most Dangerous Intersections in Worcester, MA
Make sure you drive defensively and know the hazards
Intersections are one of the most dangerous places for car accidents. They are where multiple lanes of traffic cross and where drivers must make quick decisions to avoid collisions. In Worcester, there are a number of intersections that have a higher-than-average rate of accidents.
If you have been injured in a Worcester intersection accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Contact The Law Offices of Mark E. Salomone for a free case evaluation. At no cost to you, we can answer your crash-related questions, explain your options for financial compensation, and discuss your claim’s value.
Where are the most dangerous intersections in Worcester?
Worcester has invested in roadway improvements and regulations to reduce serious and fatal car accidents, but devastating car wrecks still happen here every day. Despite a significant reduction in accidents due to infrastructure improvements at I-290 at Kelley Square, for example, the crossroads remains one of the top most dangerous intersections in Massachusetts. In 2019, there were 18 car accidents at this intersection. After improvements, in 2021, there were seven – but that’s still seven too many.
The following are the top 10 most dangerous intersections in Worcester according to Massachusetts state data:
- I-290 at Kelley Square (MA-122A)
- Southbridge St at Hammond St
- Chandler St (MA-122) at Mason St
- Park Ave (MA-9) at May St
- Chandler St at Piedmont St
- East Central St at Martin Luther King Jr Blvd
- Lincoln St (MA-70) at Catharine St
- Burncoat St at Millbrook St
- May St at June St
- Main St at Mill St (MA-12)
The top three most dangerous intersections for pedestrians are:
- Main St at Chandler St (MA-122)
- Main St at Foster St
- I-290 at Purple Heart Hwy (MA-146)
The top three most dangerous intersections for cyclists are:
- I-290 at Madison St (MA-122)
- Madison St at Francis J McGrath Blvd
- Main St at May St
Why do intersection accidents happen?
There is no shortage of causes for intersection accidents. Drivers often fail to yield the right of way. They may be distracted by their phones, the radio, or other passengers in the car. Another reason is that some intersections are poorly designed, with confusing or inadequate signs or traffic lights. Some of the most common causes of intersection accidents include:
- Reckless driving like swerving in and out of traffic or running red lights.
- Intersections with poor visibility.
- Distracted driving due to phones, food, or other activities.
- Impaired or drunk driving.
What are common types of intersection car accidents?
There are several types of intersection car accidents, including but not limited to:
- Rear-end collisions occur when one vehicle hits another vehicle from behind, often because the driver was following too closely (tailgating) or was distracted. Many times, victims are stopped at red lights or stop signs when they are rear-ended by drivers who may be drunk, impaired, or not paying attention. Rear-end crashes can also be caused by poorly maintained brakes or tires.
- T-bone collisions occur when one vehicle hits the side of another vehicle, often because one driver ran a red light or failed to yield the right of way. T-bone collisions are particularly deadly because the side of a vehicle provides little protection compared to the front or rear.
- Head-on collisions occur when two vehicles collide front-to-front. Head-on collisions can occur in intersections when a motorist fails to navigate the intersection correctly and ends up in an oncoming lane, often while turning.
- Sideswipe collisions occur when two vehicles hit each other while driving parallel to each other, typically because one driver failed to stay in their lane. Sideswipes in and near intersections can occur when a driver tries to rapidly move into or out of a turn-only lane, which is fairly common in Worcester because of the confusing design of some of the streets.
Many types of injuries can be sustained in intersection accidents, ranging from sprains and strains to traumatic brain injuries (TBI) and spinal cord injuries (SCI). These injuries can be devastating and can result in chronic pain, lifelong disabilities, paralysis, or even death. Accepting less than the maximum compensation means an increased risk of running out of money for crash expenses.
Who is at fault in an intersection accident?
The fault for an intersection accident will depend on the specific facts of the case. Fault is not a cut-and-dried determination, especially at an intersection. Witnesses may disagree on what happened or which driver had the right of way. Needless to say, the insurance company will interpret the situation in a manner that reduces their costs. We fight back.
An experienced car accident lawyer understands how to find and analyze evidence like accident reports, medical records, video surveillance footage, and physical evidence like tire marks and broken glass to get to the bottom of what happened and get the most money for their clients.
How much money can an injured intersection accident victim collect for damages?
The amount of money an injured intersection accident victim can collect depends on several factors, including the severity of their injuries, the extent of their financial losses, the available insurance and assets, and the degree of fault of the other driver(s). In general, victims may be able to collect damages for:
- Medical expenses such as hospital bills, doctor's visits, and physical therapy.
- Lost wages due to being unable to work and/or diminished future earning potential.
- Pain and suffering for the physical and emotional anguish.
In fatal accidents, surviving loved ones may be eligible for compensation for funeral expenses and other costs related to the death.
An experienced lawyer knows how to calculate a compensation package that places the highest value on their client’s health and comfort. They understand how to collect evidence and present expert witnesses to build a strong claim that insurance companies cannot ignore.
How an experienced Worcester car accident lawyer can help
Filing a car accident claim can be a complicated and time-consuming process. Insurance companies often try to minimize the amount of money they must pay out. They will use any excuse to deny a claim or reduce a settlement. Without the help of a lawyer, accident victims may not know their rights or the true value of their claims, and they may be more likely to accept a lowball offer from the insurance company.
That’s why you need to talk to an attorney as soon as possible. Contact The Law Offices of Mark E. Salomone. Our experienced Worcester car accident lawyers have helped many intersection accident victims recover the compensation they deserve. We understand the complex laws and regulations governing intersection accidents in Massachusetts, and we have the skills and resources to fight for your rights.
If you have been injured or a loved one was killed in a Worcester intersection accident, contact us today for a free case evaluation. We can review your case and help you decide what to do next.
Click here to download a printable PDF of this article, "The Most Dangerous Intersections in Worcester, MA."