A federal agency reports some good news about car accidents. Early estimates from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) found that traffic fatalities have recently declined.
The NHTSA has looked at road deaths over the past 15 months (five quarters) and found the fatality rate is decreasing, according to a report by WebWire. In Massachusetts, crash data reveals an 18% decrease in traffic fatalities for the first half of 2023 (January-June) compared to the same period in 2022.
While a drop in traffic fatalities is welcomed news, U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg says work needs to be done to make the roads even safer. The NHTSA is looking into new rules for lifesaving vehicle technologies. According to WebWire, safety initiatives include:
- Requiring vehicles to have automatic emergency braking systems
- Requiring seat belt warning systems using visual and audible alerts to encourage seat belt use
Negligence is a common cause of serious car accidents
Adding new safety features can help reduce the chance of a fatal car accident. But crash prevention begins with the driver. In many fatal car wrecks, a driver was acting irresponsibly. The following are some common factors in accidents that result in serious injury or death:
- Distracted driving: Some drivers might take their eyes off the road to look at a cell phone, but there are many other forms of distraction. Drivers need to stay focused on the road at all times.
- Drunk driving: Despite awareness about the dangers of mixing alcohol and driving, some people still get behind the wheel after drinking. An impaired driver puts everyone who shares the road at risk.
- Speeding or aggressive driving: Drivers who exceed the speed limit or drive too fast for road conditions cannot respond quickly to a change in traffic conditions. Accidents involving high speeds can often be fatal because of the significant forces involved in the crash.
- Drowsy driving: Drivers who are too tired can be as dangerous as drunk drivers. Sleep deprivation is a major cause of car crashes.
Those are some of the top factors in fatal car accidents. It's important to be aware of how accidents happen and always get behind the wheel with safety in mind.
What happens if a loved one dies in a car accident?
While fatal accidents have been declining, people still tragically die on our roads every day because of another driver's negligence. If a loved one is killed in an accident, such as a spouse or close family member, it's important to protect your rights.
Be sure to contact an attorney as soon as possible. An experienced wrongful death lawyer can help answer your questions and can help you take steps to protect your best interests.
Contact a Massachusetts car accident lawyer
Fatal car accidents can lead to highly complex insurance claims. The insurance company for the responsible driver might try to blame the victim for causing the crash or minimize the family's losses.
An experienced wrongful death lawyer can aggressively protect your rights. At the Law Offices of Mark E. Salomone, we know how insurance companies operate and understand how to counter their tactics to keep payments to a minimum.
Contact us today to arrange a free consultation. There's no obligation, and you pay nothing unless we win your case. We have helped clients get the full compensation they deserve after losing a loved one in an accident. Don't delay. If you wait too long, you may lose your right to file a claim. Talk to us today. Tell them you mean business!