Connecticut last year saw an alarming jump in the number of fatal accidents occurring in the state. A report finds that traffic deaths increased 22 percent in 2022 compared to the prior year.
According to NBC Connecticut, the Nutmeg State is among the top 5 states that experienced significant increases in traffic fatalities last year. Transportation officials say driver behavior is causing the spike in roadway deaths.
The report by the Connecticut Department of Transportation and the University of Connecticut finds there were 367 deaths in car accidents in 2022, up from 302 the previous year. Data shows that Connecticut is tied with Wyoming for the third-highest increase in traffic deaths across the country in 2022.
How do fatal car accidents happen?
NBC Connecticut spoke to a Department of Transportation official who said reckless driving, such as speeding, is causing more and more fatal accidents. Accidents at lower rates of speed might result in injuries instead of fatalities, which is why it’s important to observe speed limits.
Other top factors that contribute to fatal accidents include:
- Impaired driving: Some people make the reckless choice to get behind the wheel after drinking alcoholic beverages or taking drugs that impair their judgment. The new report finds impaired driving was involved in 40 percent of the traffic deaths in 2022.
- Reckless driving: Examples include passing on the shoulder, cutting people off, and aggressive driving behavior.
- Distracted driving: Some motorists look at their phones or use devices or technology that take their attention from driving. Talking to other passengers and eating while driving also can create dangerous distractions.
Addressing the problem
According to the NBC Connecticut report, transportation officials say they are improving infrastructure as part of a plan to increase traffic safety. However, they stress that drivers need to consider their behavior and understand their responsibility when behind the wheel.
To reduce the risk of an accident, make a safe driving plan. Anyone who is drinking should use a designated sober driver or plan to use a ride service. Other tips include:
- Stay alert and avoid distractions, especially those that involve the use of a smartphone (e.g., texting and driving).
- Plan ahead and give yourself plenty of time to get to your destination to avoid speeding.
- Avoid driving if tired or fatigued.
- Don’t let emotions take control of your driving decisions.
Seeking legal help after a serious car accident
You may feel overwhelmed if you were injured or lost a loved one in a Connecticut car accident. You may not know what to do to find the best path forward. Insurance claims can quickly become complex after a fatal accident or a crash involving a serious injury. You may need to pursue a lawsuit to obtain full compensation for your losses.
With so much at stake, it’s important to consult with an experienced attorney in Connecticut. Contact the Law Offices of Mark E. Salomone & Morelli for a free consultation. We put experience and resources to work for our clients who are dealing with the aftermath of car accidents.
We can handle the insurance companies on your behalf. We fight to maximize compensation for clients. And if the insurance company is unwilling to reach a fair settlement, we are prepared to take the case to court and let a jury decide.
There is no obligation when you reach out to us. We also work on a contingency fee basis. That means you pay nothing unless we win your case. Contact us today and tell them you mean business!