If you have been in a traffic accident involving a trucker in Massachusetts, the aftermath could add insult to your injuries because trucking companies are experienced at avoiding blame and costs after a crash.
Protecting your interests begins at the accident scene. Here are some steps to preserve your rights:
- Immediately call law enforcement. The official police report is key to defending yourself when a trucker causes an accident.
- If you are injured, call for emergency medical assistance.
- Obtain the name of the trucker, their insurer and their employer.
- Record details of the accident, including the exact time and location, road conditions, etc.
- Identify witnesses and get their contact information.
- Do not make any statements to anyone other than law enforcement at the scene. An insurer may try to use this information against you.
Beware of tactics used by trucking companies and their insurers
Understand that the truck company's investigation will happen immediately. Their goal is to lock down the most favorable version of the accident events for themselves. They do not want to pay you for your injuries, lost wages and other expenses. They likely will try to shift blame for the accident - and the cost - to you. In fact, insurers employ people who are experts at raising questions about who is at fault in a crash.
You can turn the tables on trucking companies, because they often fail to:
- Conduct background checks on their drivers
- Provide adequate driver training
- Revoke driver privileges due to driving infractions
- Safely maintain their trucks
- Employ basic safety practices, such as driver scheduling and break times
A trucking company and its insurer also will try to downplay your injuries. That is why it is important that you keep detailed medical records regarding your injuries, doctor visits, follow-up care and other health consequences of the crash.
Secure your own legal assistance
If you've been in an accident involving a truck, you may be facing a long recovery period for major injuries. Also, you may be out of work and unable to support your family as the bills pile up. In the meantime, the trucking company and its insurer are strategizing about ways to minimize the financial impact on their bottom line while accusing you of being responsible for the crash. In other words, they are not on your side. Unfortunately, the chances are that you do not have the time or energy, let alone the expertise, to challenge them on your own.
The truck accident lawyers at the Law Offices of Mark E. Salomone have decades of experience helping truck accident victims just like you. With 18 offices in Massachusetts, we have the know-how and the clout to take on trucking companies and their insurers. We will work tirelessly to secure a fair financial settlement for you and your family. Contact us today for a free consultation.